CodeWarrior 6.3 is for most RS08, S08, ColdFire V1 Processors*
*Not compatible with S08: RN, RNA, PA, PT, Kinetis (including Tower), ColdFire V2 you must use CodeWarrior 11 (eclipse based)
This post describes installing CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers (Classic IDE) – RS08/HC(S)08, ColdFire V1 v6.3 on 32-bit and 64-bit modern versions of Microsoft’s operating systems e.g., Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 and Windows 11.
Includes all known updates, fixes, and service packs for CW 6.3 on Windows 10 / 11 / 7
This method is UNOFFICIAL and is NOT supported by NXP – Do NOT contact NXP support for this method.
Download and install here:
Note: The Special Edition is FREE but limited to C compiler and C source-level debugger code and data size restricted to 64 KB and has other restrictions. If you need more functionality, you will need to buy a license from NXP
- For P&E Micro programmers – just check the box for the install options – no extra steps needed
- For USBDM programmer – just check the box for the install options – use the USBDM firmware updater (start menu) if needed
- No support for OSBDM, Softec Spyder, ICEbase (if you need these, you should use Windows XP with the official NXP CW 6.3 release)
Looking for a programmer because yours is obsolete? I recommend the USBDM if you are on a budget. The cheapest way to get one on eBay; should be under $20. DO NOT use the software that comes from the eBay seller. Remember to update the firmware using the USBDM firmware updater in the start menu and set the internal jumper.
* Date March 24 2021
* Updated PEMicro Drivers (Jun 16 2020)
* Updated PEMicro Prog Patches (Sept 04 2020)
* Updated USBDM application 18.104.22.1682
* Fix for hardcoded filename dlls (CW ignores ini, so we overwrite with *dll_v813.dll)
* Date March 1 2019
* Includes 6.3.1 Update
* Includes ProcessorExpert 3.0.9
* Patched PE_Plugin.dll version 22.214.171.12463 for exit crashing
* PEMicro Prog Patches (April 10 2018)
* Update PEMicro drivers (Feb 01 2019)
* Fix for hardcoded filename dlls (ignores ini, overwrite with *_v681.dll)
* USBDM driver 4.12.3 and application 126.96.36.199
* Includes these post 6.3 derivative service packs
CW MCU v6.3 AG128 Service Pack.exe
CW MCU v6.3 AW16A Service Pack.exe
CW MCU v6.3 AW60 Service Pack.exe
CW MCU v6.3 ColdFire V1 EM256-EM128 Service Pack.exe
CW MCU v6.3 HCS08 QE32 Service Pack.exe
CW MCU v6.3 LH64-LL64 Service Pack.exe
CW MCU v6.3 MM128JE128 Service Pack.exe
CW MCU v6.3 MM256-JE256 Service Pack.exe
CW MCU v6.3 S08 AC128 Service Pack.exe
Some people could argue to use the Eclipse-based CodeWarrior and they have their points (some devices and situations require it). On the other hand, Freescale long knew that Eclipse-based CodeWarrior is cumbersome and bloated before NXP bought them. Here is a great article (now only available by archive since it was deleted) article by James Trudeau (formally of Freescale) about his team’s unfinished but thoughtful effort: CodeWarrior 10.3 a new perspective.
Also for those who fondly remember programming Motorola parts with a Metrowerks IDE, give this a shot.
Typically error messages associated with the official version of CW 6.3 in new OSes :
“CodeWarrior Development Studio for Microcontrollers v6.3 is not compatible with Windows XP 64-bit installations” when trying to install under Windows 7/10 x64.